[aprssig] West Virginia Digipeater Coverage (US-19 and Interstate 79)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Jul 13 11:55:59 EDT 2009

Greetings Josh,

First, it would help if you specified actual tracking callsign
(including SSID) and date/time range that you were traveling.  It would
save us guessing that it was actually KD8HRX-2 that was mobile.  You can
see your APRS activity including what Digi/Igates you were using at:

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/KD8HRX-2/*

(Larger final dash number are higher resolution, zoom in for details.
The ...D-nn focuses on source locations and doesn't show all
Digi/Igates).  (Note that some files are HUGE (final column is file
size) and my bandwidth is limited.  Check the lower zoom levels first
before pulling the higher resolution plots).

Are you questioning coverage on the 9th:

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/KD8HRX-2/KD8HRX-2-2009-07-09T00.00-2009-07-09T24.00-D-10.png

or the 12th?

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/KD8HRX-2/KD8HRX-2-2009-07-12T00.00-2009-07-12T24.00-D-12.png

It looks like you did some traveling on the 9th with some gaps in either
beaconing or coverage.  On the 10th, it appears that coverage was good.
You didn't move on the 11th (according to APRS anyway).  On the 12th, it
looks like you covered some ground but didn't get many hits in the
middle.  You didn't go very far today, July 13,

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/KD8HRX-2/KD8HRX-2-2009-07-13T00.00-2009-07-13T24.00-D-18.png)

but your packets sure put on some miles!

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/KD8HRX-2/KD8HRX-2-2009-07-13T00.00-2009-07-13T24.00-7.png

If you (or anyone else) are/is interested in APRS activity around the
country, you can see daily plots of various regions at:

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/act24/*

In your case, the the NE plots for the 10, 11, and 12 would cover you.
I'll leave it to you to figure out exactly where you need to look, but
here's the key to the file names (most recent at the bottom).

USA-NE/NW/SE/SW are respective quadrants of the continental US.
FLORIDA is obvious, PALMBAY is my local area.

(0) is all APRS traffic, mobiles, Digis, and IGates
(1) is only direct IGate traffic (not provided for all ares)
(2) is Digi/Igate traffic only, no originating stations
(3) is Mobile/Digi/IGate positions, but no connecting lines
(Small squares are mobiles, small circles are Digi, larger circles are
IGates)
(4) is (3) with smaller green dots for Digi/Igates
(Small red squares are mobile, small green are Digi, larger green are
IGates)

The final dash number is a zoom factor compliments of
http://OpenStreetMap.org.

If you look at enough of these graphs, you'll begin to see where
coverage exists and where it is lacking.  Remember, these are for 24
hours as indicated in their file name (Eastern Time).  If you want to
see a composite of the entire USA over the past 2 weeks, check out the
following URL.  I don't do the regions due to compute requirements.
However, you can zoom in on the resulting picture and scroll around.
The detail isn't half bad.

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/act00/*USA*

Feel free to use these images however you wish, but republish the IMAGE,
not the LINK!  My outbound bandwidth can handle a few interested people
browsing, but I'd rather not be SlashDotted
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot_effect).

If you would like to see a 2 week view of some certain area, drop me the
N, E, S, W bounding rectangle coordinates along with an identifying area
name and I'll see if I can generate detailed plots for that region.  My
database is limited to North America only, though!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization