[aprssig] EF Johnson Offering Mike With Built-In Display GPS And APRS-like Functions

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jan 27 17:29:15 EST 2009

The same thing is sold by GISteq and Infinity Gear, and I think Pryme as
well.  They all seem to claim that it's their own product, but I have
yet to discover who really makes it.  If I go back to Hong Kong in April
I'll see if I can find it there, though Taiwan's probably more likely.

It uses 1200 bps MSK, generated by a CML CMX469A modem chip.  I grabbed
some sample data from a GISteq unit that someone was nice enough to lend me.

It's not directly useful for APRS, but I did reverse engineer part of
the proprietary NMEA sentence it puts out (in my hotel room, during
SARCity last October), and the development build of the Tracker2
firmware will produce it now.  This has no direct relevance for the GPS
mic, but it means you can use the ArcGIS plug-in that was built for them
to do APRS.  In a very clunky way, for the version I tested.  Maybe
there's something out there with better integration.

Scott
N1VG