[aprssig] Pagers as part of the Text Messaging Initiative

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 02:02:42 EST 2009

Scott Miller wrote:
> It's like the difference between a magazine and a bulletin board covered
> in notes.  It's the magazine usage the rules are supposed to prevent,
> one person or group broadcasting material to no one in particular, and
> not the peer-to-peer bulletin board, regardless of the actual mechanics
> of the system.

I'm not sure there is a clear black & white distinction.

What about the nets or individual repeater operators that play
"Newsline" once a week not knowing who may be listening, even (heaven
forbid) non-hams with scanners?

Or, my using UI-Events to automatically send APRS bulletins the day
before 4 ham club meetings each month, from a list that I create 6
months in advance?

(I'm not taking sides on this issue -- just wondering how this should be
interpreted.......)

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:     WA8LMF

World Digipeater Map