[aprssig] What is the best GPS Data RX on the market now?Answer: GPS 18x

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Sun Jan 25 10:21:29 EST 2009

Rich Garcia wrote:
> Exactly the altitude limit that really does not concern me too much since I
> don't do any balloon stuff. I'll see where else on the net I can find a 18x
> for a good price, I am guessing they can be found for about $50-$60.
>
> Next thing I got to do is take the GPSII and GPS V waypoints that I have and
> suck them out of the units before they totally die. Displays are going south
> and I am getting some sort of wierd errors when the GPSII locks on. Friday
> my wife was in the other county then appeared in Central Mexico and just sat
> there, location was wrong but I think the timestamp continued to be correct.
> The Kenwood continued to Xmit the location and I think it's smart enough to
> look to see if it's a valid sentence and xmit or not. I'll probably buy a
> Nuvi for actual navigation and got to see if I can transfer the old data
> over to the new ones, I have about 13 years of waypoints from accross the
> country saved up which I would like to keep.

    If you're thinking of going with a "no-display" unit anyway, why not
suck all the waypoints out, do a full reset, and turn WAAS off?  See
what happens, it might save you some trouble and money.

    Here's my reasoning --  I have problems trying to use WAAS with my
GPS V, but with WAAS turned off, it works just fine.  I use the GPS V
with a GBR-21, and it seems like WAAS didn't act up until after I tried
it.  Maybe your unit doesn't like WAAS, either.

    Today, I can disconnect the GBR-21, turn WAAS on, and the GPS V
locks up within a minute or so.  Guess I'll just keep using the GBR-21.

    7 3
    Earl

--
KD5XB -- Earl Needham