[aprssig] Doubling APRS messaging in ham radio overnight

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jan 24 08:49:28 EST 2009

Andy M0CYP wrote...

> This sort of voice APRS interface is best done on a dedicated 70cms
> channel away from the 2m APRS channel
>
> Maybe stations could even speak their current maidenhead locator and
> be plotted on a map?

Good idea. APRS messages could continue to flow on the main VHF
frequency, but higher bandwidth things like associated voice could be
on UHF... no desense of the other radio. Synthesized voice could then be
sent from the IGate with no special hardware needed by the mobile
station. APRS messages could also command a compatible radio to QSY
when needed... e.g. to the local IRLP frequency to change over to a long
distance voice QSO. OK... add a bit of hardware on the mobile station
end to store the IRLP node number, obtained from an incoming APRS
message. A press of a button could send the stored number via DTMF.
Maybe Scott N1VG could whip the hardware together in his spare time!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH