[aprssig] Doubling APRS messaging in ham radio overnight

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jan 24 06:25:11 EST 2009

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> What we really need is someone to take on the simple task of...

The Garmin Nuvi 350 connected to a Tracker 2 (OT2m) or T2-135
can send and receive APRS messages from the touch sensitive on-screen
keypad. The Nuvi 350, OT2m and radio combination is three devices.
With a T2-135 installed in an Alinco DR135T it gets it down to just two
components as the T2-135 installs internally. Not really a portable
handheld arrangement, but a piece of cake in a mobile environment. The
Nuvi can double as a navigation device with audible turn by turn
directions including to APRS stations... e.g. go to EOC, go to REDCROSS,
go to DAYTON, go to HAMFEST, go to WB4APR etc. assuming they exist,
or just click (touch) anywhere on the map and select "go to".

The Nuvi 350 is getting a bit hard to find as they are no longer in
production, but there are still a few new ones around as well as me
refurbished (just like new) units. The other Nuvi GPS receivers are
capable of messaging, but don't handle position reports sent as
waypoints too the GPS receiver properly. Perhaps Garmin could be
talked into making an update available for the other Nuvis if they
knew they might sell a few extra thousand because of it.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH