[aprssig] Failed APRS?

Gregory A. Carter gcarter at openaprs.net
Wed Jan 21 13:03:21 EST 2009

Honestly, regardless of what word the "P" stood for, people will use the
protocol as they see fit or see use.  You can't fault someone if they are
only interested in using APRS for position reports.  Quite honestly, I fall
in that category, it doesn't mean I don't support other uses for APRS, it
just means being able to see my position or have others see my position on a
map in real time satisfies my needs.

You can make society aware that APRS is more than position reports but you
can't make them drink the water, so to speak.  For those interested, I have
public survey's running in the popup tips on OpenAPRS, here's the results of
the "What about APRS are you interested most in?" survey:

*Name* *Hits* *Percent*  1) ARISS 52 18.1%  2) Commute 10 3.5%  3) Objects
16 5.6%  4) Messaging 36 12.5%  5) Positions 127 44.1%  6) SAR 24 8.3%  7)
Telemtry 23 8.0%
I believe that features of APRS such as voice alert, messaging, telemetry
etc are all great tools but each person got into HAM radio for their own
reasons.  In my case I am attracted to it's use in emergencies rather than
chatting it up so messaging or voice alert on normal days just doesn't do it
for me.  There are all walks of life and interest and we're fortunate that
APRS offers nitches for just about everyone.

Greg

NV6G
OpenAPRS.Net