[aprssig] Weather Station Path/Rate Recommendations

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 20 11:13:23 EST 2009

Re:  WX data rates, your hunch is correct!
The historical answer for WX stations:

* Use "complete WX" format if possible (contains posit and WX in
each packet)
* 10 minute rate preferred (standard Net cycle time)
* Usually DIRECT or 1 hop MAX if from a high-site
* Minimum hops to hit local SKYWARN net or IGATE otherwise
(still max 1 recommended)
* Decay Algorithm for non-changing data
  > Decay if no temp or rain change
  > decay if wind speed zero or unchanging
** Note, histroically, PeetBros WX stations in PACKET mode are
fixed at 5 minute rate and that is acceptible.

Now I don't know IF or WHERE this might be published in all my
docs, but I think that was the general concensus back in the
1996 time frame when we were nailing all this down.

Bob

McKeehan