[aprssig] Somewhat OT - Seeking Ham-friendly mobile cell banlegislation?

Gary n6lrv at cox.net
Sun Jan 18 13:28:30 EST 2009

Check out California's new hands free law here;
<http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=3025707913+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve>
See vehicle codes 23123 thru 23125.
Much debate took place beforehand and some of it was the result of idiotic legislators trying to ban
all communications devices while mobile until their eyes were opened to the fact that many
utilities, municipal agencies, taxis, amateur operators, and much more are not only protected
(somewhat) from such legislation but also not the cause for so many traffic collisions that begin
with "distraction by cell phone" highlighting the need for this law to begin with. Even though the
law has been in effect for more than a year now I still see numerous drivers every day on their
phones(the old fashioned way) while driving on the highway.

Most importantly, please do not confuse "wireless telephone" with the legacy "phone" term used in
radio as they are not the same thing. The legislation literally refers to common carrier cellular
type phones commonly used by the masses to distract themselves while driving their motor vehicle
into the rear of another motor vehicle.
Gary