[aprssig] Cruise Ships, APRS.FI, and AIS

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu Jan 15 16:39:35 EST 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Earl Needham wrote:

>    I wonder if there's a way to show these ships on UI-View...

No, I don't think there is any proper way to do it. You can't expand
UI-View to show AIS as such. Without converting AIS to APRS, which in turn
isn't really possible to do well, since APRS packets don't have the fields
required to transmit all the interesting extra information present in AIS
packets.

So, I think it's a bad idea to try to convert AIS (or ADS-B) data to APRS
format, and if someone still decides to do it, it should never be fed into
the APRS or APRS-IS networks.

   - Hessu