[aprssig] Programming Language Advice

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Jan 15 01:58:04 EST 2009

I'm seeking advice from members of the list as to which would be the
best programming language to use to massage a string of data so that
it's suitable to upload as aprs weather info.

This is the data string I have to work with from a nearby professional
weather station that posts the data to the internet.

> 15/05:30pm 29.4 29.4 19.7 56 6.3 E 19 26 10 14 1008.3 - 0.0
Using cut I can extract the fields of interest - 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 12 and
14 which are temperature, humidty, course, speed, gust, barometer and
total rainfall since 9.00am (that's the standard we use).

I have a shell script to convert course in compass points to degrees,
and I have a perl script to convert the metric figures to imperial, and
round up/down.

I'd like to be able to handle the lot with a single programming language
and end up with a line I can feed to xastir.

The question is, what should I be using, perl or awk? Armed with the
answer I can devote my time in that direction.

Ray vk2tv