[aprssig] APRS<=>E-mail

Gregory A. Carter gcarter at openaprs.net
Mon Jan 5 12:34:33 EST 2009

That makes sense, though really HTML is an accepted form of email based on
client support so I would tend to think it doesn't need an option just
simply strip out the HTML white-space compress the text and send.   Most
people aren't aware of what an HTML email is, they simply open their email
client and check their messages so to expect everyone to know how to shut
off HTML in order to send to APRS could be a problem.  Although we're
talking about HAMs here who you would imagine have a little more of a handle
on the technical aspect of things.

The length should be truncated however since it could get ugly if someone
tries to send a book worth of text and could have a great potential to kill
APRS-IS or severely overload it.  The only way this system works is to send
the message through APRS-IS and let individual iGates try and gate it back
to RF users.

I envision the ability to accept messages from all as an option, limit
incoming messages to only those in an approved list and enable a blacklist
that will reject anything from certain addresses or IPs.

Greg

NV6G
OpenAPRS.Net