[aprssig] Another Bootlegger?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:53:02 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> wrote:
> If you want to jam efi, the best way would be direct on the aprs IS.
> Ideally, the daemon would listen for a report to come in, and then
> generate a random posit (or even a fixed posit in an ocean). That
> keeps the load to a minimum and makes it almost certain no one could
> ever get a good posit on the Internet servers.

wouldn't that ping-pong from the transmitted posit to the bogus one?

I thought about generating random posits all over the globe
continuously (with a reasonable interval), inserted,as you say,
directly into the APRS-IS.

I also thought maybe we should give 'em the benefit of the doubt since
apparently no one has heard them on RF yet, so we don't really _know_
if they are illegal (e.g. CW or direct IDs, maybe with NOGATE) - but,
on the other claw, with the equipment their packets are advertising,
that does seem incredibly unlikely.

-Jason
kg4wsv