[aprssig] ARRL Addresses

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 3 11:40:39 EST 2009

> how about a potential solution...
> Let's set up a gmail account for
> all the "aprs Email", use it to
> filter the spam and then use its
> rich routing options to disburse
> the email to the varied aliases.
>
> It probably won't handle the 5K+
> APRS active hams but it would make
> a good primary filter.  Other
> routing mechanisms could be used
> for the final delivery...

I agree completely.  For this new Universal Amateur Radio Text Messaging Initiative, we do need a single global callsign<=>email translator.  But I just don't know enough about all the vagaries of modern email engines to suggest such a thing, and also worry about its maintenance.

see www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html

Since the whole world of ham radio would be dependent on it (not just APRS) for ham-to-ham text messaging, then the whole world would be dependent on this one author that set it up.  And the amount of work to maintain it might burn out the author, and we end up with a defunct system.

So that was why I was leaning on the professionally maintained callsign-email reflectors such as the one for ARRL and each of the national organizations.  Let them worry about the spam filters, engines, updates and maintenance.  ANd we just sort all email via them.  That might assure long term viability and maintainability to this Universal Amateur Radio Text Messaging System Initiative.

But then I am not hard-over on any of the details, whatever will work best, but we need a universal system somehow, and APRS can provide the last-mile backbone delivery interface between the internet and RF to/from the end user.

We also need other volunteers to develop those simple text-messaging interfaces to all the other devices such as the FT-51 and TH-78 and other systems listed on the web page.  There are as many of those radios out there as there are of D7 and VX8R's combined!  Plus the APRStt DTMF interface.  The French hams that were working on the APRStt system got really busy with work, and that system is temporarily stalled.

I love the simple APRS messaging/CQ system written for the OLPC wireless laptop. www.aprs.org/APRS-OLPC.html.  With it, I can always have APRS messaging as long as I am in WIFI range of an access point.

Again, see www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html

Bob, Wb4APR