[aprssig] Garmin and APRS

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sat Feb 28 12:57:32 EST 2009

For those models that create duplicates, you can tell them that the
problem is that sending two waypoints of the same name using the A100
waypoint transfer protocol through the FMI port results in creation of a
duplicate, rather than moving the original waypoint like we want for APRS.

For the models that don't create waypoints at all, the problem is that
they don't support waypoint creation through the A100 protocol (or any
other mechanism).  There's no way to put *anything* on the map through
the FMI port.

Garmin added a POI transfer mechanism in FMIv2, but it's useless for
APRS.  You have to upload a .gpi file, which they won't provide specs
for, you have to send ALL of the POIs at the same time, and replace the
file (at 9600 baud!) if you want to move one of them, they don't show up
on the map at all unless you dig down about 5 menus and save each one
individually to 'favorites', and the symbol and comment information is
ignored.  The mechanism is there so that fleet operators can push out a
list of POIs prepared on a PC to show their preferred gas stations and
such.  It's NOT anything close to a real-time waypoint mechanism.

You don't need to include that last paragraph, but if they say "FMIv2
does it", you've got an answer.

Scott
N1VG