[aprssig] which digi (was: SheevaPlug plug computers for igates?)

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 09:14:19 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Chris Kantarjiev <cak at dimebank.com> wrote:

> If all you want is a cheap, modern remote digi, I think that your best bet today is one that's based
> on the TNC-X. The latest X-Digi plugin card firmware handles remote update now. Not a lot of bells
> and whistles, but fairly rock solid.
>
> Scott's Tracker2 has some good features, but I have to say (sorry, Scott) that the software really
> seems to be in perpetual beta,

Having used both, including some T2 beta hardware, I think the T2 is
superior.  If the Xdigi has gained remote update, that's the only
thing it really has over the T2 for an APRS digi.  For some
perspective, the first _release_ of the XDigi software had a bug that
was out there for longer than the T2 beta hardware cycle.  It couldn't
even be used to watch the packets coming in if it had the digi module
installed.

> and has some issues around buffer limitations.

Yes, but for an APRS digi those aren't really severe.  Benefits of the
other functionality outweigh this, IMO.  If the TNC-X/XDigi seem
solid, it's because there is not nearly as much functionality, and
development is positively stagnant as compared to the OT line.

-Jason
kg4wsv