[aprssig] APRS RF-ID

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Feb 23 12:33:59 EST 2009

> Just treat the RF-ID as a position report.
> Just as we likely don't think a posit of
> a car on the interstate is valid 5 hours
> later, we would also suspect a RF-ID that
> is 5 hours old.  All the position report
> tells you is at that moment in time, that
> asset was at that location.

Glad to see some clear thinking.  Yes, that is all it is.  But I
do recognize that the chances of getting into the county
security system are small, and each county will be different.
So that is why my web page has always been after an all-ham
solution using an ARRL callsign badge.

As to security concerns... Its like anything else in APRS, if
you do not want to report on APRS your position at the EOC, then
don't swipe your ARRL badge past the reader.

Maybe here is a better project that we can do with less
coordination.  A keypad at the EOC or clubhouse or wherever.
When a ham reports aboard, and if he wants to report his
presence "check in", then he keys in his callsign on the keypad
by the door.  Actually, only 3 digits will often do for his
suffix.  If there is a conflict to someone else's call, it will
beep a reject tone, and that person will have to enter more of
his call.

A better method still is to have his callsign pre-loaded into
his DTMF memory and then not only at the EOC but anywhere we
have a "reader" he can check in there by pressing his autodial
key.  Done.

In either case, signing in at the door keypad with 3 digits, or
pressing autodial on your handheld will check-you-in to that
location on APRS.

See details www.aprs.org/aprs-rfid.html

Bob, WB4APR

More data, like badge
> in/out, would allow a form of human dead reckoning.
>
> I suspect the mass entry/exit will not be that likely as if a
> ham has made the effort to "tag himself" he/she will likely
> badge in/out. However, this should be voluntary.
>

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
> <ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:
>

> 	Even with "badge-out", unless there's a single-person
> man-trap at the
> 	entrance/exit, you'll still end up with some residual
> "people" at the
> 	EOC, especially after a mass meeting.  One person will
> use their badge
> 	to open the door and the whole group will leave
undetected.