[aprssig] APRS RF-ID

Kurt A. Freiberger kurt at badgers-hill.net
Mon Feb 23 12:04:59 EST 2009

Rick Green wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Joel I.  Kandel wrote:
>
>> Probably a bad precedent to set for security purposes.
>> Joel, KI4T

EOCs are designed to assume the worst-case scenarios.  There are enough
wackos out in the world that considering public disclosure of location
of personnel is a very significant and prudent condition.  It doesn't
have to be a Dick Cheney extreme, but consider Pandora's Box.  Once
released, it can't go back in.

We hams are taking a leap of faith as it is with APRS in its present
form.  By having my Igate disclose its location, I'm telling the world
that I might have something worth stealing.  The more paranoid could
assume I'm tracking them, possibly as a covert monitoring operation.
I'm not sure I'll ever have a tracker in my vehicle again.  If I do,
it'll be off most of the time.

As many of us do, I have a wife and child to protect and or defend.  It
ain't military thinking.  It's realizing that we don't live in our
youthful environment.  I could take a bus to downtown New Orleans at the
age of 10, and be perfectly safe.  Nowadays, I'd worry about my child
walking to the neighborhood store.  That sucks.

Mr. Rogers' neighborhood is gone.  Regrettably.

Kurt A. Freiberger     Austin, TX	kurt at badgers-hill.net
Amateur Radio Callsign WB5BBW  		AIM Handle: WB5BBW
        "Reputation is what other people know about you.
            Honor is what you know about yourself."
         - Lois McMaster Bujold - "A Civil Campaign"