[aprssig] DTMF Text Messaging Gateway PIC

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Feb 18 13:35:28 EST 2009

Wow!

Today I noticed that the Basic Stamp PIC processor already
contains a DTMF encoder!

Gosh, All I have to do is connect its serial port to a TNC and
its audio to a TX, and I have an instant, stand-alone APRS==> to
Text Paging gateway!

I guess the first application I will tackle will be simple
messaging from APRS to the DTMF paging radios (FT11,41,51, or
TH78).

Anyone else have the Basic Stamp PIC's and wanna play?

Bob, WB4APR

groups.

> So setting up one of these radios to receive messages
requires:
> 1) Putting in your own ID ###
> 2) Putting in the six GROUP codes above
> 3) Entering PAGE mode.
>
> THen from any other radio, you can send messages manually to
> that radio.  To send your callsign, just put 996*FFF (where
FFF
> is your ID) into the DTMF memory of any DTMF radio and put any
> intended messages #MMMMMMMMMM# into additional memories.  For
> example
> "CALLME" is #2C2A5C5C6A3B#
> "WB4APR" is #9A2B42A7A7B#
>
> For troop number "995" with a score of "95" would be
> "995 95" or #9951C95#
>
> It works!  Find out who in your club has these radios and put
> one at Net Control for your next operation.  Figure out ways
> use this.
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

transmit
> > them, not just other models of the same radio.
> >
> > > Also I [was] hoping to see the DTMF key
> > > algorithm used by these radios, but it
> > > fell short just a bit.
> >
> > Yes, I need to update those web pages now with this new
> > excitement to make it easy for people to synthesize a
message