[aprssig] West Coast ISS Igates on 145.825?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Feb 18 08:17:43 EST 2009

What happened to the West Coast ISS Igates?

The other day I was doing a demo for my class and the ISS was approaching the West Coast for one of those symetric passes over the northern USA and Canada.  I told my students to watch the map and the packets from the APRS-IS (internet System) on www.ariss.net as the ISS came in view of CA, OR and WA.

The ISS came right over the west coast, not a single packet appeared on the APRS-IS until the ISS was over the Great Lakes and an IGate in the Northeast started gating.

Admittedly, it would have been a low horizon pass for LA and San Diego, but any other IGate all the way up to Seattle should have received it.  So I wonder are we dependent on only one IGate in the whole western USA and it was down that day?

Bob, WB4APR