[aprssig] Kenwood <> Garmin adapter cable

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 22:16:30 EST 2009

Bob Bruninga wrote:
>> They're finally finished, tested, and ready to ship!
>>
>> www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=113
>>

> Great news!  Does this mean that these GPS's do not have NMEA output and so this interface is required to make them work with APRS radios?
>
> Garmin nüvi 300 series,
> StreetPilot c340,
> StreetPilot 7000 series,
> StreetPilot 2820 series,
> StreetPilot 2720 series,
> zumo 400 and 500 series
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob, Wb4aPR

Where have you been the last 9 months???   This has been an ongoing
discussion on this list for at least that long.

These GPS units don't have SERIAL output.  Like most modern consumer
products and computers, they only have a USB connectors.    However a
limited range of Garmin devices feature Garmin's "Fleet Management
Interface". These units have special internal firmware support for the
USB port that can "automagically" transform it into a serial port when a
mini-USB plug with a resistive pullup inside is inserted into their USB
port.

You then get serial data I/O but still in proprietary Garmin format.
Scott's cables have a "goiter" in the middle of the cable that encloses
an active microcontroller that translates Garmin <--> Generic NMEA. You
then use the NMEA side with the Kenwood GPS-in and waypoint-out functions.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:     WA8LMF

World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps