[aprssig] Text Messaging Radios (a simple use)

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 18:47:23 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

>  almost 100% of the volunteers that show up with their old trusty HT can send DTMF text messaging.

How many of those will go to the trouble of getting in proximity to a
DTMF RX station to configure and verify their DTMF memories before an
event?  How much time and effort is required for an event commo
organizer to allow for getting volunteers configured the day of the
event?  What is the actual payback for this extra effort - just free
up a few minutes' voice traffic?

It is a gross violation of the "come as you are" ad-hoc networking
paradigm that APRS espouses.

It seems to me to be the DTMF analogue of the TX-only "dumb tracker"
that you malign so frequently.

Sorry, but like someone already said, it's a solution in search of a problem.

-Jason
kg4wsv