[aprssig] Text Messaging Radios (a simple use)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Feb 12 18:32:56 EST 2009

> If we're going to make a device that
> has the connections to the radio to
> receive DTMF and display it on an LCD,
> why not just make it a text messaging
> terminal and have it use APRS?

because only 5% or so of the amateur radio volunteers that provide the bulk of amateur radio support for public service events can SEND APRS messages. whereas almost 100% of the volunteers that show up with their old trusty HT can send DTMF text messaging.

SO yes, the device should do both, but the real value to the overall amateur radio community for public service data reporting is by far, making it a DTMF display first (and simplest) and adding APRS modems as a bonus.

Bob, Wb4APR