[aprssig] Text Messaging Radios (a simple use)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Feb 12 15:15:30 EST 2009

Mark Earle wrote:

> Time would be better spent
> promoting the vendors (Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu) to each come out with an
> APRS mobile and HT. If there were more choices, it is likely more folks
> would buy the "all in one" solutions.

I know I would!  If the price were better than $600.  I'm trying to roll
my own APRS station with an Alinco DR-135T, a T2-135, and a Nuvi 350,
but I'm having issues there.  I'm now playing with the same Alinco, a
TinyTrak4, and a future PIC-based interface to the same Nuvi-350.

I'd really LOVE to have a D710, but can't do the $$$ in one shot at this
point.  If I keep the components separate, I can justify the "other"
uses for the various components (Alico is voice, Nuvi 350 can be
standalone, HT + TT4 is IGate/Digi, you get the flexibility).

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Tracking and IGating all over the SSID space!