[aprssig] Text Messaging Radios (a simple use)

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Thu Feb 12 14:38:33 EST 2009

I'm still not following how this is going to be more useful than voice.
>   Can someone shoot a quick video of this in use?
>
> Scott
> N1VG

It would be better, to promote normal APRS messaging than this TT kludge.

Expecting people to make old (15+ years) radios work again - batteries,
chargers, car cords, etc) is silly. If a group WANTED to do this tt
kludge, they could not - because those radios are long out of
production. I know, Bob, EBAY. There have been none listed since you've
started this discussion. Sure, 1 or 2 may show on occasionally. That's
not going to cut it.

At least with APRS msging, there are 2 current production radios
(TM-D710 and VX-8) which support it,. plus several PC Aps - Xastir,
UI-View, APRS+SA, and others. Net control could use AGWPE and  not even
have to invest in a particular radio - use a client, AGWPE, and any 2m
(or UHF?) radio. There is also Hamhud, and the Kenwood "APRS Head". Plus
all the existing D-700's and THD7A(G).

This TT msg idea is a waste of time. I try new things, but just do not
get this. Likewse, the vaporware "APRS TT". Time would be better spent
promoting the vendors (Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu) to each come out with an
APRS mobile and HT. If there were more choices, it is likely more folks
would buy the "all in one" solutions.

--
      ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
     ( (     Echolink 221408      Grid Square EL17HQ
   `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com