[aprssig] Automatic omni DF query

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 18:44:51 EST 2009

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:
> So what path do we use to put our HD TV on APRS?
>
> I got it.   I even have two redeemed HD coupons and I'll do the third
> when I find a converter box with Sony/Separate video output.
> Unfortunately the TV coupons are specifically not valid for "good"
> converters.
>
> An no - even if there was such a thing as coupons for new ELT's there
> are those that wouldn't find it necessary since they rely on APRS.
>
> Bill

Two coupon-qualified boxes that DO have S-Video out are the Channel
Master CM-7000 (generally reviewed as the best box, period), and the
Apex DT-250 available at Best Buy.   Both these boxes also have the
Smart Antenna control output for automatically-steered active
directional antennas.   The Channel Master is typically $30 after
coupon, while the Apex is only $10-20 after coupon.

Another one of interest is the "Airlink 101" which is only $40 and is
net zero after coupon. Although it doesn't have S-video out (only ch3/4
RF and composite), the real attraction of this box is that it's chassis
actually operates on +12VDC via a wall wart with the same coax power
connector used on TNCs.   Connecting this box to a laptop with analog
NTSC video-in, or a 5" DC-capable TV, gives you a DTV receive setup that
can operate on emergency power from a ham station's 12VDC battery plant.

By the way, all three of these boxes have analog passthough.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:     WA8LMF

World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps