[aprssig] WB4APR Shows Off His "Solar Prius"

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun Feb 8 21:22:08 EST 2009

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, Al Wolfe wrote:

>    We used to build Jacob's ladders using two stainless 102" CB antennas
> and 15,000 volt neon transformers. Had 3/8" starting gap and were about four
> inches apart at the top. Usually could get >3 inch sparks in still air.
> Also, unintended consequence, CB's were useless for quite a range when the
> ladder was on.

   Hmmm, 450 watts in an arc with electrodes that just happen to be 1/4
wave resonant at 11 meters.  I thought I was doing well with a 10Kv
transformer into a pair of 12ga copper electrodes about 30" tall.  Yours
would be much more impressive!  What did you use for base insulators?

   <evil grin>
...you mean like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/15KV-30mA-110vac--Neon-Sign-Transformer-Solid-State_W0QQitemZ180273358901QQcmdZViewItem

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009