[aprssig] WB4APR Shows Off His "Solar Prius"

Al Wolfe awolfe at Route24.net
Sun Feb 8 21:04:28 EST 2009

>> --- Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> > ... it?s the guts from a bug-zapper, but no matter how I
>> > adjust the wires, the arc won't climb...

    Bob, as others have suggested a neon or oil furnace transformer may be a
better choice for the Jacob's ladder. Yours may work, though, by shielding
the arc with a Coleman lantern glass chimney or something like it. The
ladders are much more usable in still air than moving air which tends to
blow out the arc.

    We used to build Jacob's ladders using two stainless 102" CB antennas
and 15,000 volt neon transformers. Had 3/8" starting gap and were about four
inches apart at the top. Usually could get >3 inch sparks in still air.
Also, unintended consequence, CB's were useless for quite a range when the
ladder was on.

73,
Al, K9SI