[aprssig] Bob WB4APR Shows Off His "Solar Prius"

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 17:33:30 EST 2009

--- Rick Green wrote that:

> --- Robert Bruninga wrote:
> > ... it’s the guts from a bug-zapper, but no matter how I
> > adjust the wires, the arc won't climb...

>   I think bug zappers rely on capacitive discharge...
>   Use a high-voltage neon sign transformer instead.

  Try an (8" cube) Oil furnace ignition transformer (mother-in-law upgraded to gas).  It'll set fire to paper in the path!  It's not accessable right now (being held hostage in an undisclosed location in "studio-B"), but if I recall, the plate said 10kV.  10ma.  That's up to 100W in the arc.  Easily rose 2 feet. in a 2" plastic tube.  However the #12 wires got hot enough to melt into the tube at the top where they touc ithed.

  It must generate enough *heat* in the arc so the ionized path moves upward.

--
73, Steve, K9DCI
You know that sea of entropy we were going to drown in?  Well, upon closer examination, it turned out to be ignorance.  S. Noskowicz 1987