[aprssig] Bob WB4APR Shows Off His "Solar Prius"

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sat Feb 7 01:35:06 EST 2009

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> But of course.  What else am I going to do with all that energy
> I am saving and not sending to the Bin Laden's. ... Actually
> it’s the guts from a bug-zapper, but no matter how I adjust the
> wires, the arc won't climb... It kind-of jumps around, but won't
> climb.  But then it’s a small arc.   Can only jump about 1/8th
> inch or less.  And I think it has a thermal cut out or
> something, because it will only arc a few seconds and then long
> periods of silence.

   I think bug zappers rely on capacitive discharge for a quick zap, and
they actually are designed to quench the arc quickly.  You just need to
kill the bug, not cook it, afterall.
   Use a high-voltage neon sign transformer instead.  They're designed to
maintain a high-voltage, low-current arc.  Just what you need.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009