[aprssig] A New "Space" Trend ?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Fri Feb 6 19:19:02 EST 2009

If you look at the packets, you will find that "stations" in question are actually objects (in your example, probably sent by NT5RN-S).  There is no requirement about SSIDs or other format requirements in the specification regarding object names.  APRS-IS has allowed non-numeric SSIDs (like the -B, -C, and -S in this example) for station callsign-SSIDs and the Kenwood radios see both of these just fine.

As pointed out in another reply, these objects are generated by software on the D-STAR gateways and provide similar information to what the repeater, IRLP, Winlink, and Echolink objects provide.  The NT5RN-B and NT5RN-C are D-PRS IGates also running on the NT5RN D-STAR gateway.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net