[aprssig] Google APRS

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Feb 4 16:26:47 EST 2009

The definition of "mobile" changes with the tides of technology.
Consider the Osborne 1 "portable" computer
(http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html).  Granted it pre-dates Windoze
(and even GUIs for that matter), but if RS-232 TNCs were around back
then, I'm sure that SOMEBODY would have hooked one up with a terminal
program and gone "mobile' with the whole setup.

Besides, the original message alluded to mobile text messaging in
general (I thought), not specifically related to the SIZE of the
equipment that was necessary.

I'm treating APRS as a method of melding of RF and Internet technologies
to enable a whole passel of interesting possibilities.  My son's
Parallax Propellor-based
(http://www.parallax.com/tabid/407/Default.aspx), home-brew APRS via
KISS TNC client in his car control system (MiLog) (tracking as KJ4DXK-9)
fires out an APRS text message to my APRS-IS linked Windows Mobile
client (tracking as KJ4ERJ-12) every time it starts up.  That let's me
know that he's about to go mobile so I can either track him, call him
via voice, or just be aware.  He, along with KJ4HPQ and W4SGC, have even
grander ideas developing for APRS-type usage over RF.

I can't wait to see what the newest generation of Hams come up with that
will shadow the current cell phone capabilities until those ideas get
popularized and commercialized opening the way for yet another
generation to do even more experimentation and invention.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ