[aprssig] SSID Question and Path Question

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Dec 31 20:36:56 EST 2009

Short answer first:  SSID is no longer used to imply a symbol.  It is
preferred that an explicit symbol be specified elsewhere in the packet.

That said, there's still a recommended set of usages, mostly for
recognition, not for symbolization.  You can see several lists at:

http://www.wvraclub.org/aprs.htm  (40% down the page)

http://vk3.aprs.net.au/aprs_ssid_usage.htm

There was some recent discussion on this list about the addition of
aprstt in -12, but I can't lay my eyes on that link just now.

Comments on the rest of your detailed questions will follow...  (if not
by me, then by someone).

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - NOT the expert, but learning myself

PS.  Any non-numeric -SSID is legal only on the APRS-IS (Internet) and
will become third-party traffic if/when gated to RF.