[aprssig] TNC's for LINUX computers

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun Dec 27 21:13:00 EST 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Andrew Rich wrote:

> If I were to hook up a TNC to a com port on a LINUX server, and then use the
> connected light on the TNC to pass messages to the LINUX server over air,
> could I use the TNC setup to access a command prompt on a remote server ?
>
> Although 1200 baud Packet is slow, it makes for an easy wireless solution to
> LINUX command line opeartions
>
> Andrew VK4TEC
>
> Anyone done this ?

   I don't remember doing it myself, but it shouldn't be too difficult.  A
TNC, after all, isn't that different from a 'smart' modem.

COnfigure the TNC to raise the DCD line when a station connects.  Run a
getty on the serial port, configured to spit out a login prompt when DCD
goes high.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009