[aprssig] Where are my weather warnings??? -OR- Why your UINWS/UI-View32 isn't broke and the current APRS-IS wx server is working correctly.

Frank or Barbara Rossi n3flr at bellatlantic.net
Fri Dec 25 13:24:05 EST 2009

If you have a cell phone with texting package, you can get free weather
alerts sent to your phone from "The Weather Channel".
They are zip code specific.
The other thing I do with the Cell Phone, I use the RSS feed from the
APRS IS for my messages.
I use a RSS reader on my computer anytime it is on.
I set up the RSS Feed from the APRS IS on "Yahoo Alerts" to send my
phone a text message anytime I get a message.
Then you set up Yahoo Alerts how often you want the messages.
Yahoo Alerts are free and work with RSS feeds.

If you get a lot of messages this works great, however not perfect.
1. It strips off who the message came from unless they sign in the text
part.
2. The last message the APRS IS gets for you is re-sent daily for about
a month, until the APRS-IS stops sending the RSS Feed.

I meant to talk to someone with the APRS-IS about that.
A fix would be if the message would expire to the RSS feed in 24 hours
would be great if that could be done.

I figure my cell phone is always on my belt 24/7, and I have a unlimited
family texting plan with my kids texting.
I'm only on APRS mobile about 20 minutes per day.
I'll never miss a APRS message or weather alert this way.
N3FLR - Frank