[aprssig] Andorid APRS

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue Dec 22 16:38:23 EST 2009

A follow up note, ignore if you don't care about APRS on your handheld computing
devices.

When you look around the embedded phone device software world, there is a
diversity of operating system and thus programming language requirements.  It is
this diversity that provides both opportunity because of features that come in
some of these environments, as well as restrictions that come in porting one
application to another platform.  The iPhone uses Apples custom OS that is based
on MACOS-X (Mach-OS/FreeBSD) that came out of the NextStep computer business
that Steve Jobs went off to do.  The programming language is Objective-C, which
has some interesting features as a language.  The graphical UI programming tools
are tremendously strong as many of the app-store games and other applications
show.  You can also port C language applications to this environment because it
all comes down to a native programming environment, which means you are writing
instructions that execute directly on the processor.

The Android environment is based on the Java language.  As a "language", java is
java.  The syntax is the same everywhere.  The "platforms" which Sun
Microsystems has standardized over the years have varied differences.  The
smallest environment is the smartcard platform.  There are limited data types,
single dimension arrays and other restrictions.  When you move up to the JME
platform that is on many types of "simple" smartphones, there are fewer
restrictions, but the programming libraries for I/O and graphics are completely
different from the desktop, JSE platform.  The JEE platform provides enterprise
server application tools such as standard ways to interact with particular types
of services etc.

My offer below, applies to trying to promote a common code base for APRS
development on three of these environments.  The two common Java environments,
JME and JSE environments can largely use the same code for everything except I/O
to serial devices/GPS and graphics rendering.  Thus, packet assembly and
disassembly as well as algorithms for things like digi-peating/I-gate activities
can be done once and reused in both of these environments as long as care is
taken to understand the limitations of the JME runtime (floating point etc). The
new Android environment represents the third environment that I think a common
library of code can be targeted.

All of the other device types with their other runtime environments and
programming languages are not part of this discussion.  They are "different",
and require a different programming language environment to develop for.

The Symbian environment could likely use APRS code written in in the C-language
that could be used on the iPhone.  That would require a different, even
duplicate, effort in general because the programming languages are just so
different that even simple text conversion tools would have a hard time getting
it right.

I'm an avid fan of the iPhone as a networking portal that happens to also
provide phone service.  It's the network part that is most interesting to me.

I'll likely spend some time looking at the Android, hands on, but without a
device right now, I don't know how to help with the Android related tasks.

The code that I point at below is the "common" code that I believe to be largely
useful across the three platforms I mentioned above.  I'd like to see it used
because it could reduce the time to having something to use.

Enjoy!

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW