[aprssig] Weather ?

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Mon Dec 21 16:49:48 EST 2009

Guys,
	The 24 current watch, warning and advisory messages on the APRS-IS
are from Australia.  These include Cyclone warnings, which we do not see
from NWS.  The Australian server is using NWS-ADVIS, NWS-WATCH, and NWS-WARN
even though NWS has nothing to do with these products.  The originating call
sign as seen on APRS-IS not using NWS WFO designators, but designators for
Australian weather offices AFAIK.  Furthermore, the zones or counties in
these messages do not correspond to any of the zones or counties in the US.

	I can assure you NWS has not stopped putting out alerts.

	The current APRS-IS weather server no longer sends Watches and
Advisories, only warnings.  A filter setting of t/n on port 14580 will
provide whatever is available on the APRS-IS, Australian or US.  There are
currently no US NWS warnings available as far as I can tell.  Nothing will
display on your US map.

Bill KC9XG