[aprssig] Nuvi GPS blast

Earl Needham earl.kd5xb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 11:12:52 EST 2009

Bob Bruninga wrote:
> While I thoroughly love my NUVI350 with Argent Systems interface cable for Mobile APRS applications, I saw this rant about the NUVI 500 from a highly respected hacker over on the Electric Vehicle sig.
>
> He laments the overall DECLINE in usefulness of GPS units (NUVI as an example) as they are dumbed down to one-app fits all mentality.  He mentions the same useless attempts at Garmin customer service that Scott frquently mentinos.  THey are just too big to listen anymore to cusomers..
>
> Bob, WB4APR
>
>> The newer types of units have much better
>> radios and chipsets but have been so dumbed
>> down in other ways that they're not worth
>> the bother.  I have a long rant about this:
>>
>>  http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/random/nuvi.html
>>
>> ...the handheld ones designed for hiking,
>> which still have REAL BUTTONS, may be the
>> best sensible-features-per-buck way to
>> go these days.

    I read the review at
<http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/random/nuvi.html> and the following:

"It may help slightly to first give the finally-reached human a callback
number and ask to be called back immediately in the event of disconnect."

    It can't be done.  Busy call centers are set up so that as soon as
one call ends, another  goes straight to that CSR.  It would take an
incredible change in software, firmware, and operating philosophy to
make this happen.  Which no company wants to do, because that would
require more CSR's, and more MONEY out the door...

    7 3
    Earl

--
KD5XB -- Earl Needham