[aprssig] FC-301

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Aug 31 12:31:11 EDT 2009

Andrew VK4TEC wrote...

> Can someone help me program my fc-301
>
> + do you send SW to GND ? pin 8
> + what is pc to radio tx /rx pins ?
> + what speed ?
>
> I have volts on it +12.5

You might get more help on this over on the "OpenTracker" or "Tracker 2"
support list. On the page
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=110
there is a link to the manual...
https://www.argentdata.com/support/FC301D_Service_Manual.pdf. Scott's
programming cable is at
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=108
but the pin-out isn't shown. Looking at the picture of the cable, it
looks like it just connects to the DE-9 on the outside of the case. The
wiring diagram to the DE-9 is on about page 50. Page 22 just says
"connect data port J1 of the FC-301D to the PC via an RS-232 data cable.
The schematic is shown on about page 55 or so. I would hazard a guess
that switch SW needs to be operated for programming, but skimming the
programming section of the manual, I couldn't see a mention of it. You
could fire a note to Scott over on the OT or T2 list if you don't get an
answer here. Of course, for $9 USD, you could just buy the cable - hi! -
but where's the fun in that?

Ah... I skimmed some more. Take a look at page 11 of he manual. It
refers to the switch as S1...

"IC801 is audio/Data and UART signal switch. When the SW pin is high
,audio/data signal can go through IC801. S1 is a switch between audio
and data input, when transmit audio, MIC IN port is shorted, when
transmit data, DATA IN port is shorted."

Guess you're still looking for a confirmation of the data pins though,
but looking at the block diagram on page 11 (and the schematic later) it
appears that the TXD and RXD pins are labelled AF IN and AF OUT on the
DE-9, so that should give you the answer, other than guessing at the
data rate.

I don't have the FC-301, but I do have the T2-301. The frequency can be
set right from within otwincfg.exe or via a command on the serial port.
I take it yours doesn't have the T2 built into it.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH