[aprssig] 6 meter APRS

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Wed Aug 26 13:57:46 EDT 2009

Hi,

One project I'm working on in whatever spare time I have is a PSK-125
TNC add-on for UI-View.

To test this I've already written a macro in Fldigi to simulate an APRS
message.

I've just spent a few minutes running the message through various digi
modes and CW speeds to
measure the time taken. See the results below:

The test message is:

G4HYG>APRS,GATE,WIDE2-2:=5332.76N/00225.91W&Chris, testing PSK modes for
APRS

Time taken to send the message:

PSK-31................23.66 s

PSK-63................12.30 s

PSK-125................6.91 s

PSK-250................3.87 s

RTTY (45 bd)......18.50 s   (note that > is not in the character set)

OLIVIA (8-250)....59.48 s

CW (18 wpm).......64.43 s

CW (50 wpm).......23.61 s

CW (100 wpm).....11.66 s

Please note that the times were recorded on a handheld stopwatch so it's
not as
accurate as the two decimal places indicate!

It's worth noting that Fldigi has a PSK browser showing up to 20
different contacts.
I've not tried it on the air on CW (yet).

73s,

Chris, G4HYG

Chris Moulding
Cross Country Wireless (2009) Ltd
7 Thirlmere Grove, Bolton, Lancs, BL4 0QB, UK
Tel/fax: +44(0)1204 410626
Mobile:  +44(0)7752 391908
Website: http://www.crosscountrywireless.net
Company number 6780346 registered in England and Wales