[aprssig] [uidigi] Turn HID OFF

Tim Cunningham tim_cunningham at charter.net
Sun Aug 23 11:02:51 EDT 2009

---- Bob Bruninga  <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> HID Packets:
>
> > Its just a frame sent to UIDIGI via nobody.
> > The TAPR TNCs have a similar HID frame...
>
> And getting these turned OFF is one of the top improvements of the New-N Paradigm.  These 10 minute packets from EVERY digipeater every 10 minutes are one of the biggest wastes of bandwidth in APRS.
>
> If you see them, then contact the SYSOP and remind him that they are still there.  Of course, for UIDIGI where the sysop has to go burn a new ROM, I would not blame him in ht least to wait a few months or years until his next change.  But for digis with remote sysop capabilities, this is oneof the number one QRM generators and should be turned off.

Good idea! However, there is no known way to turn this off with the current UIDIGI firmware short of deleting the UIDIGI entry in the DigipeaterAlias parameter. I have not tried this, but it is a possibility if the entry is left blank and it may require the UIDIGI.BIN to be modified to actually clear the entry. I would try it but I am out of the country at the moment. In any event, this can be tested by changing it remotely or locally with a PC connected and see what happens.

In a pure UIDIGI network these beacons are never digipeated by another digipeater. If they are being digipeated, I suspect somebody is using PreemptedDigipeat or some other setting to make this happen. We would need to see the packet in question to determine what happened.

73's,

Tim - N8DEU