[aprssig] Turn HID OFF

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Aug 23 10:11:42 EDT 2009

HID Packets:

> Its just a frame sent to UIDIGI via nobody.
> The TAPR TNCs have a similar HID frame...

And getting these turned OFF is one of the top improvements of the New-N Paradigm.  These 10 minute packets from EVERY digipeater every 10 minutes are one of the biggest wastes of bandwidth in APRS.

If you see them, then contact the SYSOP and remind him that they are still there.  Of course, for UIDIGI where the sysop has to go burn a new ROM, I would not blame him in ht least to wait a few months or years until his next change.  But for digis with remote sysop capabilities, this is oneof the number one QRM generators and should be turned off.

THanks

Bob, Wb4APR