[aprssig] spaces in object names

Joel Maslak (N7XUC) jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Sat Aug 15 22:42:07 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Tapio Sokura <oh2kku at iki.fi> wrote:

> I can't resist dipping my spoon into the broth:

Me either...

> Some people here seem to be hung on the definition of printable and
> non-printable. There's an easy fix to that: explicitly define what byte
> values are acceptable in the spec.

Agreed.  I'd also remind everyone of the basic network programming tenet:
"Be conservative in what you send, liberal with what you accept."

I am absolutely against removing leading spaces or collapsing spaces in
objects received by a station.  I think modifying the original sender's
object names is a very dangerous thing to do indeed.  As for software
allowing these things to be sent, that I don't care about either way - so
long as we don't modify what gets sent.  Remember MIC-E translation?