[aprssig] wilderness protocol cq

ka7o at ka7o.net ka7o at ka7o.net
Fri Aug 14 13:13:50 EDT 2009

All those in favor say "Aye!"
All those opposed, same sign.
Motion carries on uncontested voice response.

Here, I know about a dozen hams that scan .52, our repeaters and a few
other simplex frequencies -  practically 24x7. But they won't idle chit
chat or respond to basic CQs. And calling CQ through the echolink machine?
Fugedabootit. However, holler for help or call one of them by name/call
and your antenna will damn near melt off.

Plus, with our newish, almost state wide linked repeater system - you
holler in Thermopolis for help - it may well be a ham in in Rawlins or
Casper that responds. Or all 3 or more!!

<brag> And our repeaters have proven to be more reliable than many home
stations. </brag>

They're monitoring - but not everyone is on vacation at the same time.

73