[aprssig] Packet Interpretation - Wind or Motion

Pierre Thibaudeau ve2prt at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 14 11:10:25 EDT 2009

Today, 10:58 -0400, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>    > Did not see anything relating to this wind
>    > speed [MPH or Knots] in aprs11.html nor in
>    > aprs12.html.  Here is the closest it get in
>    aprs11/spex-wx.txt:
>    >
>    > s = sustained one-minute wind speed in mph.
>    > <in positionless format only>
>    >
>    > but nothing about the speed unit in DIR/SPD.
>
>    Remember that the "positionless format" was not originally part
>    of APRS.  It was forced on us by WinAPRS over my objections...
>    They wanted MPH.
>
>    Unless we find a reference that we changed this to the contrary,
>    I guess we have to let it stand.  Its been there for 10 years,
>    so who knows who has done what..  And changing it now could
>    break other systems.  Wind speed in Knots in one place and MPH
>    in the other.

I would tend to agree to keep it as is myself, i.e. with wind speed in
knots in the DIR/SPD. But there is the case of UI-View that takes it as
mph. Beeing in a frozen state while at the same time having a very large
user base is a concern to me. (There is also findu.com and aprs.fi and
possibly others that decodes it as mph.)

Still considering the options.

'73 - Pierre
__

Pierre Thibaudeau
VA2RKA/VA2RKB/VE2RIO/VE2RVR/VE2RQF/VE2RTO/VE2LKL/VE2TXD sysadmin