[aprssig] Packet Interpretation - Wind or Motion

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Aug 14 10:58:43 EDT 2009

> Did not see anything relating to this wind
> speed [MPH or Knots] in aprs11.html nor in
> aprs12.html.  Here is the closest it get in
aprs11/spex-wx.txt:

> s = sustained one-minute wind speed in mph.
> <in positionless format only>
>
> but nothing about the speed unit in DIR/SPD.

Remember that the "positionless format" was not originally part
of APRS.  It was forced on us by WinAPRS over my objections...
They wanted MPH.

Unless we find a reference that we changed this to the contrary,
I guess we have to let it stand.  Its been there for 10 years,
so who knows who has done what..  And changing it now could
break other systems.  Wind speed in Knots in one place and MPH
in the other.

Bob, WB4APR