[aprssig] spaces in object names PROPOSAL

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Aug 13 15:52:37 EDT 2009

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Thanks.. Last I knew, if there is a TRACER (station) with the name for
> example of LEADER, and that tracker fails, then someone else cannot
> send a new object of the name LEADER and manually update its position
> for the remainder of the race. Both LEADERs will remain on the map and
> no one externally can move, replace, or kill the original LEADER
> because UIView keeps STATION names and OBJECT names separate.

Ah... I just proved your point. UI-View on my laptop is VE7GDH-10 and I
could create an object of the same name and they both left each other
alone. I guess it would be too simple a solution to merely delete the
no-longer-beaconing LEADER so the object LEADER could carry on.

> And this is not just a trivial example. For any event, I routinely
> look at the event map and if there are left over callsigns from
> mobiles or fixed stations all over my area from hours, or days ago,

You don't have an expire time set in the APRS client you are using?

> I often make identical objects (so I can take ownership) and then send
> out KILL packets to remove those objects from not just my screen, but
> every other screen and system.

If you mean objects with identical names, I don't understand how you
could do that. One would replace the other... i.e. the last one to
beacon wins.

> We have to be able to remotely take over any "thing" on the shared
> "virtual situational displays" and move it, update it, or kill it as
> the immediate situation requires.

I can understand taking over objects. I would have a difficult time
understanding or agreeing with taking over a station. In your example
above, you were replacing a station with an object of the same name. I
realize that you see it as a failing of UI-View, but I would actually
disagree with being able to replace a station with an object of the same
name. I'm not just saying that because UI-View allows objects and
stations with the same name.

> Everyone needs to remember that the FUNDAMENTAL mission of an "APRS
> operator" is to INPUT info, UPDATE info, MANAGE info so that the
> virtual situational display throughout the area is current.  Not just
> watch it as a map full of old, obsolete, stagnant and useless icons...
> that we are powerless to fix.

To me, a station that has stopped beaconing isn't obsolete. I can see
where it last beaconed... or at least where it was last heard from. My
normal expire time is 90 minutes and it's adjustable. During an event, I
might lengthen or disable my expire time, but during "normal" operation,
I would usually have it at 60 or 90 minutes.

To me, if you want others to be able to update something, it should be
an object.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH