[aprssig] spaces in object names (meaning AT LAST!)

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Thu Aug 13 15:33:24 EDT 2009

Unfortunately, I don't think considering objects/items/station "names" the same is a separate subject because it directly affects what is presented (see below).

> In my above web page, I have shown how with a simple COLOR background,
> even ICONS can convey these color attributes.  ANd I agree with you,
> without this visible knowledge, then the TAKE-OVER-MOVE-UPDATE-PREEMPT-
> STEAL-CHANGE-KILL fundamentals of APRS based on NAME are problematic to
> the user...

Even with this visible knowledge, we still have a problem with the TAKE-OVER-MOVE-UPDATE-PREEMPT-STEAL-CHANGE-KILL fundamentals as presented.  A simple example: AE5PL-14 is participating in an event and is being tracked.  Due to a temporary interruption of receipt of transmissions (ok, I took a lunch break ;-), another station decided they needed to guess where I am and put an object out with the "name" of AE5PL-14.  Now the operators know that is just an object but they no longer know where I really am (my last report) and any tracking history is no longer valid.  I get back on the air and now my station "jumps" back to where it really was but all interim knowledge of that is gone.  Next, the person who generated the object forgets to turn it off.  Now my station is jumping between the object beacon and my real posit.

I wholeheartedly agree that clients need to visibly present the various information as possible in their environments (ok, I give some more leniency here than you do :-).  However, I also believe that by introducing this naming ambiguity (an object name = an item name = a station name) defeats most of what is gained through that visibility.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net