[aprssig] spaces in object names PROPOSAL

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Aug 13 13:32:32 EDT 2009

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Can we all sign on to these interpretations:
> 1) Drop trailing spaces
> 2) Retain embedded spaces
> 3) Treat all resulting names independent of how they were received as
>    the same "thing" with respect to replacement, overwriting, and/or
>    killing.
> 4) And of course, retain in your data base the distinction of whether
> it is an object or a station as needed for user selection,
> manipulation and display, and so that ownership is preserved until
> replaced.  But in all cases the latest "identically named" thing
> replaces any other.
>
> The major APRS system that fails #3 and #4 is UI-View, but we live
> with it until someone finally writes something new.

Could you please explain the UI-View failings in regard to the above?
With that said, I'm running VE7GDH-10 on my laptop (without saying, that
is UI-View) and was able to create an object of the same name.

As an aside, UI-View wouldn't allow me to create an object that started
with a space, but I could use any character plus 8 spaces, or two
characters with 7 spaces in between. When there were 8 trailing spaces,
they showed in the frame in station details, but they were stripped in
the label on the map. I'll leave the objects "VE7GDH-10", "X        "
and "X       X" up for a while.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH