[aprssig] spaces in object names

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Aug 13 12:52:12 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 09:37:40AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Steve Dimse wrote:
>
> > Part of the design of APRS is to be
> > able to move other objects. Say you put a tracker in the lead vehicle of a
> > marathon, and the tracker dies. You need to be able to take control of the
> > symbol and move it manually in response to voice reports of the position of
> > LEAD. Otherwise you end up with dead callsigns complicating tactical
> > displays. "K4HG" and "K4HG    " need to be the same for the tactical use of
> > APRS.
>
> I believe this is what Bob B. has mentioned before.  When I first
> heard of this I though it ripe with the possibilities for abuse by
> one ham against another, but have come around to liking it for
> basically the uses described by Steve above.  Unfortunately I don't
> know whether Xastir can make use of this right now.

As it stands right now, if you attempt to move a "station" in Xastir, it'll
say "Object/Item not owned by you, try adopting it first.", but then if you
try to use the "Object/Item->Modify" menu (to adopt it), it reports "No
Object/item at this location."

So we don't actually handle objects and stations symmetrically.  All the
machinary for moving objects depend on the station record having the "I'm an
object" flag set.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation